Monday, April 14, 2008

guess who locked themselves out of the house this morning?

that would be me. damn british doors that lock behind you.

7:10am i left the house without my keys.

7:14am i call a co-worker for advice as i was all stunned and sleepy.

7:16am i call my headteacher and inform her of my stupidity.

8:27am i finally get through to my letting agent who informs me he has no spare keys to my flat. he tells me to call the landlord. i do not have the landlord's number. he calls the landlord for me. he calls me back to inform that he cannot get through to the landlord, upon giving me the number, he tells me to keep trying.

8:38am i start looking though the yellow pages i luckily left outside for locksmiths. minimum charge averaged 100 pounds. i put the yellow pages back on the front step.

8:54am i call the letting agent to ask for a different number as the one i have does not seem to be getting anywhere.

9:03am letting agent calls me back, he has spoken to the 16 year old son of my landlord. his father has gone to work, his mother has gone shopping, his older sister has gone to university. apparently there is no hope. 'can the boy not look for the keys?' i ask. 'i hadn't thought of that' the letting agent replies.

9:07am after convincing the boy to look for the keys, letting agent informs me the boy will call me when he finds them.

9:12am boy calls me and says his mother has come home, he now has the keys but cannot come unlock the door as he has to have breakfast.

9:13am i throw a temper tantrum in my driveway. i stamp my feet and scream and shake my fist to the sky.

9:14am i call letting agent and rant.

9:28am boy arrives and let me back into my flat.

10:00am i arrive at school, 1 hour 'officially' late but 2 hours later than i like to be.

10:04am my class attacks me with hugs and all is right with the world again.

12:20pm i get a second set of house keys cut and leave them with my headteacher who lives reasonably near me.

1 comment:

Alex said...

Those 'British locks' are Yales and they are much harder to pick than regular locks and are also more secure.